Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie by Saurusfood http://saurusfood.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/sweet-potato-shepherds-pie.jpg
Servings 3-6 servings
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
Ingredients - Mash
- 500-700 g potatoes
- 1 large sweet potato (600-700g)
- 25 g vegan margarine
Ingredients - filling
- veggie stock
- 80 g textured vegetable protein (mince)
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp basil
- black pepper
- 2 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 0.5-1 tsp garlic powder (or fresh 4-5 cloves)
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 0.5-1 tsp turmeric
- 1 can chick peas
- 80 g frozen pea, corn, and pepper mix
- 300 g frozen carrot, broccoli, and cauliflower mix
- 40 g spinach
- Peel potatoes and cut them into smaller chunks to speed up cooking time. Place in boiling water and let simmer for roughly 5 minutes while peeling and cutting the sweet potato. Add sweet potato and let simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until potatoes are fully cooked (test with a fork - when ready it will easily pierce the pieces).
- While the potatoes are cooking, boil 350ml of water. Add the veggie stock, spices and TVP.
- Once the TVP has sucked up all the water, add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. If the filling is too loose, you can add a tiny bit of TVP to suck up the water; if too dry, add a little bit of water.
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Pour away the cooking water from the potatoes. Add the vegan margarine, some salt, and 100ml of fresh water. Mash the potatoes. You want the mash to be slightly loose, but still able to hold its shape.
- Pour the filling evenly into a greased baking dish. Spread mashed potato on top. You can decorate your pie by drawing lines or poking holes with a fork. Sprinkle some black pepper and thyme on top.
- Bake at 200°C (400°F) for 30 minutes.