Sauruses love cake – they can’t get enough of it. The amazing thing about raw cakes is that they’re kind of healthy, so you can eat them with a clean conscience!
This is a simple recipe that the Saurus came up with when she decided to make her first raw cake, and it’s a great success. The cake is soft and sweet, with a textured base that goes perfectly with the smooth filling. The best part is that it requires no cooking at all!
Strawberry & Chocolate Raw Cake by Saurusfood http://saurusfood.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/strawberry-and-chocolate-raw-cake.jpg
Servings 8-12 servings
Prep Time 10 minutes
Passive Time 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- food processor, powerful blender, or hand-held processor
- 18cm (7") spring-form pan (or other size for different thickness)
Ingredients - Base
- 100-110 g pitted dates
- 80 g ground almonds
- 25 g shredded coconut
- 1 pinch cacao or cocoa powder
Ingredients - Filling
- 600 ml whole dry cashews (soaked for 6-8 hours or overnight)
- 100 g coconut oil (melted)
- 50 g agave nectar
- 500 g frozen strawberries (defrosted, including liquid)
- 4-5 tbsp cacao or cocoa powder
- vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- juice from half a lemon
- Chop up the dates and mix all base ingredients - in a food processor if you have one, or by hand (with the help of a fork) - until it becomes a sticky dough that will hold its shape when moulded.
- Press the ball of dough into the bottom of the spring-form pan, and place in the freezer while you prepare the filling.
- Mix soaked cashews, coconut oil, agave nectar, the strawberries (including the liquid), vanilla extract, salt, and lemon juice - either in a food processor or powerful blender if you have one, or with a hand-held processor in a bowl - until smooth.
- Pour roughly half of the mix on top of the prepared base, and place back in the freezer for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the cacao or cocoa powder to the remainder of the mix.
- After the strawberry layer has set, pour the chocolate layer on top, and place back in the freezer or fridge until set.
Decorate with shredded coconut and vegan chocolate or cacao nibs.
If stored in the freezer, thaw for at least 20 minutes before serving. Will stay fresh in the fridge for 2-3 days.