These spicy gluten-free muffins are quick and simple to prepare, and are perfect as a snack, an appetiser, or even the main course. You can use any kind of marinated tofu, or alternatively you can replace the tofu with vegan sausages or other vegan “meats”. You can also add some vegan cheese to the batter, or sprinkle some on top of the muffins before baking them for a bit of variety and extra flavour!
Savoury Tofu Muffins by Saurusfood http://saurusfood.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/savoury-tofu-muffins.jpg
Servings 12-15 muffins
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 200 g gluten-free all-purpose flour mix
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp vegan egg replacer (such as Orgran No-Egg)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1,5 tsp paprika
- 0.5 tsp chilli powder
- 0.5 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp basil
- 1 tsp dried onion
- 0.75-1 tsp salt
- 400 ml water
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil (30g)
- 2 tsp white or apple cider vinegar
- 150 g smoked tofu (or other marinated tofu)
- 100 g frozen pea, corn, and pepper mix
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Thoroughly mix all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Cut tofu into small cubes (no need to drain, just gently pat dry).
- Add all wet ingredients into the dry ingredient mix, and mix well. The batter shouldn't be too dry, add more water if necessary.
- Mix in the tofu and frozen pea/corn/pepper.
- Spoon into cupcake cases or a (greased) muffin pan.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 15-20 minutes, until the muffins have set and reached a lovely golden brown colour.