This is a very basic, very simple recipe for a pasta casserole. Traditionally it’s made with elbow macaroni, but unfortunately the shops near Saurus don’t stock any gluten free pasta in that shape. The good news is that pasta of any shape will do! Both gluten free and regular wheat pastas work, as well as light and dark versions. The only thing you need to adjust is the pasta’s own cooking time in the beginning.
You can add some chopped up vegetables for extra flavour, or leave out the chili powder and paprika if you’re not in the mood for spicy food. You can also sprinkle some vegan cheese on top, or add it to the white sauce for some cheesy flavour!
Pasta Casserole by Saurusfood http://saurusfood.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/pasta-casserole.jpg
Servings 2-4 people
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 300 g pasta of your choice
- 150 g textured soy protein (mince)
- 1/2 L veggie stock
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp chili powder (hot)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp lemon pepper (or some salt if needed)
- black pepper (to taste)
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 250 ml plant based milk of your choice
- 250 ml soy or oat cream
- 1 tbsp gluten free flour
- 3 tsp No-Egg egg replacer
- Cook your pasta according to the instructions on the packet. You can cook them for a couple of minutes less than what the instructions say, as the pasta will continue cooking in the oven.
- While your pasta is cooking, preheat oven to 200°C (400°F). Bring 0.5l of water to boil, add veggie stock and spices, and textured soy protein. Let simmer for a couple of minutes while the soy protein expands.
- Drain the cooked pasta and mix n with the mince.
- Pour mixture into a greased casserole dish.
- Mix egg-replacer, flour, plant milk and 150ml of soy/oat cream in a measuring jug or a cup. Make sure there are no lumps. Pour mixture evenly into the casserole dish.
- Finally, pour the rest of the cream on top of the dish and place on the lower level of the oven. You can sprinkle some oregano or basil on top as well. Cook for about 30 minutes at 200°C (400°F), until the white sauce has set and the top is layer is looking crispy.