You can never go wrong with curry. Potatoes are such a fantastic base for a curry as they really soak up the flavours and are so easy to cook. Besides, who doesn’t love potatoes?
When saurus found herself with three big bags of kale and no specific plans to use them, she decided to put together this vegan kale and potato curry, using the potato curry as a base. This curry is very simple and cooks quite quickly, and you can adjust the spices to your own tastes. You can also use finely chopped fresh ginger or ginger paste instead of ground ginger, you’ll just need a little more when using fresh ingredients – the same goes for the garlic.
Kale & Potato Curry by Saurusfood http://saurusfood.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/kale-and-potato-curry.jpg
Servings 4 servings
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 kg potato
- 300 g kale
- 1 can chick peas
- 400 g coconut milk
- 500 g crushed tomato
- 300 ml veggie stock
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 3-4 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp lemon pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 - 2 tsp ground ginger
- Peel potatoes and chop them into bite-sized chunks.
- Place in boiling water, and leave to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Rinse kale and chop into small pieces. You don't have to use the stalks if you don't like chewy bits, or you can add the chopped stalks in with the potatoes white they're boiling to ensure they cook more throroughly.
- Prepare concentrated veggie stock by dissolving a vegetable stock cube into 300ml of hot water.
- When potatoes are cooked, pour away water. Place back on the stove and add veggie stock, crushed tomato, coconut milk and all the spices.
- Finally, add chick peas and chopped up kale, and stir well while the kale softens up.
- Turn the heat off and leave to gently stew for 4-5 minutes to let kale soak up the flavour of the sauce.
- Serve with white basmati rice, or rice of your choice. (Pictured with regular long grain white rice, as saurus had unexpectedly run out of basmati rice!)