Another great way to use up the pulp from juicing carrots is to make carrot buns. These super simple and easy buns are gluten free, but can easily be made with regular wheat flour – you’ll just have to slightly adjust the amount of flour used.
For this particular recipe Saurus prefers to use a dark gluten free flour mix which has a heavier, grainier consistency and is high in fibre, but lighter flour mixes work just as well. Note that if you are using freshly grated carrot instead of pulp from juicing, you may need to add a little extra flour to balance out the added moisture!
Carrot Buns by Saurusfood http://saurusfood.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/carrot-buns.jpg
Servings 9-12 buns
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Passive Time 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 400 ml warm water
- 11 g yeast
- 250 g gluten-free flour mix
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 80 g oats
- 100 g carrot pulp or grated carrot
- 40 g vegetable oil
- Mix yeast in warm water and add salt. Add 4/5 of the flour bit by bit and mix thoroughly. You can also measure the flour and yeast into a mixing bowl first, and then add the warm water and salt.
- Mix in the oats, then the carrot, and finally the oil. Add in the rest of the flour and knead until thoroughly mixed. The dough should be soft but not too sticky, and will hold its shape (eg. can be picked up as a whole lump with ease).
- Cover up and leave to rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 225°C (430°F).
- Add a bit of flour onto your hands to prevent dough from sticking, separate small bits of dough, and gently roll into buns in your hands. Place buns onto a baking tray covered with baking paper.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, until the buns have a lovely brown colour.