Yet another use for your excess carrots or carrot pulp is this deliciously spicy carrot and lentil soup recipe. Protein rich and very filling thanks to the lentils, it has a beautiful orange colour and a light, creamy texture. The coconut milk and chilli powder complement each other and the carrots wonderfully.
Carrot & Lentil Soup by Saurusfood http://saurusfood.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/carrot-and-lentil-soup.jpg
Servings 3-6 people
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 150 g red lentils
- 500-600 g carrots (pulped or grated)
- 20 g ginger root
- 400 g coconut milk
- veggie stock
- chilli powder
- Rinse lentils in hot water and place in boiling water with a vegetable stock cube. Let simmer for 15 minutes. (check the amount of water needed on the pack)
- While lentils are cooking, wash carrots and grate them or shop them into small pieces. If using carrot pulp, skip this step.
- When lentils are done, add carrots and spices. Add more water if needed. Soup should be quite thick at this point, but still liquid. Let simmer for further 5 minutes.
- Take saucepan off the heat and blend with a handheld processor until smooth. Place back on the stove and add coconut milk. Add more water if necessary. Bring back to boil, and switch the heat off. Sprinkle some fresh herbs on top and enjoy!