One of Saurus’s New Year resolutions is to consume slightly less sugar and oil, and to create healthier, lighter dessert recipes. Saurus’s original apple pie recipe called for 100g vegan margarine, and a full 100g sugar, but this time the margarine has been swapped for more apple sauce, and the amount of sugar has been halved. The apple sauce has a tiny bit of added sugar, and the rest of the sweetness comes from stevia. If you use unsweetened apple sauce, you may want to add more sugar.
The flour used is a gluten free all-purpose flour. This recipe works with all the gluten-free flour mixes Saurus has tried so far, and would also work with regular wheat flour – just remember to adjust the amounts!
The end result is a somewhat dense and fluffy base, which is very low cal for a dessert!
Apple Pie by Saurusfood http://saurusfood.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/apple-pie.jpg
Servings 28cm (11") diameter pie
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 200 g apple sauce
- 50 g sugar
- stevia or another tbsp of sugar
- 100 ml water
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1.5 tsp baking soda
- 180-200 g gluten-free flour mix (or normal flour)
- 2 tsp white or apple cider vine
- 2 medium apples
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Remove apple cores, cut in half, and slice thinly.
- Mix apple sauce, water and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Add baking powder and baking soda mixed in roughly half of the flour and mix thoroughly. Add rest of the flour bit by bit, and save the vinegar for last. The batter should not be too dry, but a thick, spreadable consistency.
- Evenly spread batter into a greased pie pan.
- Arrange apple slices on top. You can slightly press them into the base and overlap them to create layers.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon. If the apples you used are very sour, you may want to sprinkle some sugar on top as well.
- Bake in the oven (at 200°C) for 25-30 minutes until the crust gains a lovely golden tone. You can make sure the crust is cooked by poking it with a toothpick - if it comes out clean, it's ready. Serve with vegan vanilla ice cream or custard!